How to choose the right tutor to prepare for school and university examinations?
Choosing the right tutor is not always easy, especially when it comes to preparing for entrance examinations at independent British schools.
We select the high-calibre, professional tutors with extensive teaching experience and substantial subject knowledge who have studied at leading independent schools and graduated from top British universities.
Knowing both our clients and tutors very well we pride ourselves in our excellent record of matching tutors to students.
We really listen to what our clients need and approach specific tutors who who we know will work well with a particular child and his or her specific needs.
We match each tutee with an experienced tutor who is an Oxbridge or Russell Group graduate, send you the proposed tutors’ CVs for your consideration and arrange an interview for you to get a feel for who is truly right for you.
We then work with the tutor to create an individual programme of study for your child, and continue to support you, the tutor and your child throughout.
- have graduated from the UK’s leading independent schools and are Oxbridge and Russell Group educated
- are experienced in teaching non-native English speakers, and are able to adapt their teaching accordingly
- enjoy working with children and adapt their methodology and teaching to the particular strengths and weaknesses of each student
- use a holistic and interactive approach by implementing educational technology in their lessons
- have deep knowledge and real enthusiasm for the subjects they teach
- focus on the subject knowledge important to the classroom teachers
- demonstrate authority and competency whilst treating their tutees as equals
- strive to broaden their students’ knowledge beyond the actual subject (e.g., history lessons include politics, culture and even music; English literature lessons are supplemented by drama plays and similar)
Read what the The Good Schools Guide thinks of our tutors
How we select our tutors
Bruton Lloyd tutors are Oxbridge and Russell Group educated, with extensive teaching experience as private tutors and at top independent London day schools
- we interview all of our potential tutors in person at our London offices
- during the interview each tutor is asked to conduct a mock lesson so we can get an idea of their teaching style and their personality
- all of our tutors are DBS-checked, adhere to our Code of Conduct and the Code of Ethics by the Tutors’ Association and provide copies of all qualifications and references prior to working with us
“Thank you Bruton Lloyd for matching my son with such professional tutors. He got A* in his GSCE’s which he needed to get into Westminster School. We are very proud of him”. – Charles and Elsa, parents of a student
Tuition may take place
Tuition is available
- as a standalone service (GCSE, A-Level, IB, Pre-U preparation; IELTS/TOEFL, Academic English, Maths, Science, as well as Life in the UK Citizenship test, British etiquette and cross-cultural training for adult learners)
- as part of a 3-4 year long school placement project, including tuition specifically for 4+, 7+, 11+ and 16+ entrance examinations and the all-important UKiset test at one of our accredited test centres in London or Moscow
- as part of a 2-3 years long university application project, including interview practice, personal statement advice, ACT/SAT preparation and essay skills
For international families bespoke homeschooling and residential tuition programmes are available for a duration from two to six months, whilst you are settling into your new life in the UK or in transition periods.
What are the next steps?
1) Contact Us
- Let us know the subject, the student’s tuition goals and age group (13+, SAT, Academic English, Maths, Science)
2) Choose your tutor
- Receive a selection of between three and five suitable tutors
- interview your potential tutors via Skype or at our London offices
- choose your preferred tutor
3) Start your private lessons and receive regular update reports